KSEC has developed and delivered the SET Challenge since 1995. Initially it was an event organized for participants at the Regional Science Fair. Its popularity quickly led to the development of a distance delivery model for science olympics at the regional level. In 2013 The Northwest Company came aboard as event sponsor, providing tee-shirts and medals to all Kivalliq schools.
promote many of the guiding principles of IQ including collaboration, hands-on learning, innovative problem solving and others. Where possible, the challenge itself has a cultural connection. For example, Uuksitaaqtut (Target Practice) challenges students to build catapults and slingshots as well as traditional Inuit hunting bolos and slings.
The SET Challenge has become KSEC’s most popular event and is much anticipated in Kivalliq schools and participation tops 2000 students most years.Each school organizes the SET Challenge a little differently. Some encourage individual teachers to carry out the events in their classrooms, while others turn it into a school-wide event held in the gym and open to the public. Either way, students get an opportunity to observe, hypothesize, and experiment in authentic hands-on knowledge construction. The scientific method becomes a natural extension of each group’s endeavors to solve the problem.
The Northwest Company provides funding to underwrite this program.
SET Challenge–Past Themes
- 1995 Keewatin Air Show (Flight)
- 1996 Vehicle Venture (Force & Motion)
- 1997 Tower Power (Force & Structure)
- 1998 Space Race (Flight)
- 2000 Stay-Afloatilla (Buoyancy)
- 2001 Towers (Force and Structure)
- 2002 Rally-Ho! (Force & Motion)
- 2003 Space Race (Flight)
- 2004 Sanajiit (Force & Structure)
- 2006 Aksalualik (Things with Wheels)
- 2007 Mannik Madness (Eggs!)
- 2008 Uuksitaaqtut (Target Practice)
- 2009 Silainnaq (Outer Space)
- 2010 Sanajiit (Construction)
- 2011 Mannik Madness (Eggs!)
- 2012 Uuksitaaqtut (Target Practice)
- 2013 Silainnaq (Outer Space)
- 2014 Sanajiit (Force & Structure)
SET Challenge Posts
[catlist category = “SET Challenge”]
SET Challenge Resources